DPIIT IPR Chair, Osmania University
About DPIIT IPR Chair
In the year 2016, the Department for Promotion of Industries and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India has launched the Scheme for Pedagogy & Research in IPRs for Holistic Education & Academia (SPRIHA) to encourage the study of, education in, research on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR), and the motto to inculcate a budding respect for one's own IP and also for that of the others by appointing IPR chairs in eligible institutions. It is a matter of immense pride that along with other select institutions, the IPR Chair was established at Osmania University in the year 2021 under the SPRIHA scheme. The primary objective of the IPR Chair is to achieve the objective of the National IPR Policy, which is to strengthen IP Chairs in educational institutes of higher learning to provide quality teaching and research, develop teaching capacity and curricula and evaluate their work on performance-based criteria. The DPIIT IPR Chair at Osmania University looks forward collaborate with other academic, research institutions and industry to promote effective utilization of IPRs by bridging the gaps between academia and industries. Prof. (Dr.) D. Ravinder is the Patron of the DPIIT IPR-Chair at Osmania University and Prof. (Dr.) G. B. Reddy is the IPR-Chair Professor.
The primary objectives of the IPR-Chair are:
- Introducing and promoting IP education in Institutions of higher learning/universities.
- Create IPR knowledge database by compiling global best practices on all IPR matters.
- Foster research in IPR and related matters and highlight the policy relevance thereof.
- Disseminate research and promoting discussion on IPR.
- Facilitate joint research, shared lecturing arrangements and student/academic exchanges.
- Focus on inter-disciplinary research as well as industrial cooperation, bringing together the disciplines of IP and management, identifying the communication gaps in academia and industries for technology sharing/ mutual research etc.
- Facilitate collaborations of the academic institutions with other Universities/Colleges/ Institutions in India and across the world.
- Setting up of a repository for IPR related information and case studies at the University both in physical and electronic form.
- Develop, formulate and collate inputs/ recommendations industry, practitioners and academia on IPR issues for policy makers.
- Preparation of repertoire of resources/ toolkit/ guidance/ instruction materials for various levels of IPR Courses in education services for direct teaching as well as teaching through distance education mode/ online courses including commissioning of suitable resource persons for the purpose.
- Facilitate increase in filing of IPR applications (by way of copyrights, trademarks, patents, etc.) to further strengthen IP as a key driver for India's knowledge driven economy.